Monday, July 18, 2011

Creating the Yoga Habit: one Focus Yoga student’s 30-day challenge

Samskaras are basically habits. The idea is this: once we begin a behavior, and repeat it over time, a groove begins to form in our psyche, much like a trickle of water running down the face of a rock. Naturally, as the groove appears, the water will continue to flow down that same path, because it’s much easier than breaking out of that path. And, of course, the groove continues to deepen.
That is a samskara. Samskaras can be positive or negative. We can probably all list some of our negative samskaras. A sugary dessert after every meal, a cocktail upon arriving home after work each day, even snapping at others when irritable or reacting with anger to setbacks; these are negative samskaras.
Now, I know it’s hard to begin to flow out of these well-worn grooves. Sometimes it’s easiest to focus instead of creating new grooves, new paths in which you can begin to flow.
Last month, one of our students at Focus Yoga, Mary Parra, informed me that she was giving herself a 30-day challenge: coming to yoga class each day for 30 days. Since this is such a powerful time of year for creating better habits (longer, warmer days give us more opportunities to exercise, and more fresh, healthy food is available to clean up our diets), I thought I’d check out how well she did and share!

Judi: What inspired you to create a 30 day challenge for yourself? 
Mary: I started coming to the studio in April with a 10-day pass. Once I used it up in May, I bought a 30 day unlimited pass, and decided to challenge myself to take class every day for 30 days in order to really get my money’s worth. I also felt like I needed a deeper immersion into my yoga practice. I work in real estate, which is very stressful, and I feel my heart has really hardened through this business. 
J: Did your challenge help you feel better mentally?
M: I hadn’t really been consistent in my practice up to that point, and I started feeling better quickly. As the days went by, I stopped reacting negatively to things, I started feeling calmer and more relaxed. 
I began dedicating myself to being happy where I am. This was an idea I picked up in class. Because of my business right now, I feel like everything is a struggle. I’m working on just being happy in the moment I’m in.
As the 30 days went by, I also stopped having my daily glass of wine. My body just told me not to drink. Sometimes after a stressful day at work I used to say, “I’m going home to have a glass of wine,” and I would. Now, I have no desire. 
J: How do you feel physically?
M: I haven’t met my goals yet physically; I’m still struggling to get into the poses. But, I’m working on relaxing and really focusing on alignment. I had a very sore ankle at one point, and by bringing attention to proper alignment, it just went away.
However, I definitely feel stronger, especially my legs. My shoulders were tight, and now they are much looser. And, I’ve had some recent classes where I’ve really felt that “mind/body” connection.
J: Did you have any challenges in making it to the studio each day for 30 days?
M: Sometimes work could get in the way. Toward the end of my 30 days, I had one day where I had to be in Orland for work, and just couldn’t make it into class. That motivated me to begin to develop a home practice. I bought some recommended books and began to read them. Now, in addition to coming to the studio most days, I try to devote some time at home to meditation, and a few poses, even just 15 minutes.  
J: Did you ever feel like you were neglecting other things in your life as you made more time for yoga?
M: Never. I’m very disciplined. In my life I’ve always been willing to follow through on the things I like and that benefit me. If after the 30 days, I didn’t like the practice, I would have stopped. But I’m still coming and practicing.
J: We’re glad you love it! Just what is it that makes you passionate about yoga?
M: I love the being in that mental flow, that “zone”. I was training for a marathon last year, and I like that being in that zone when I run. But, I think the benefits are better for me in yoga. Running makes me tighter. Yoga is much less stress on my body. I listen carefully to how the instructor cues things, and I’m finding I can get into the poses just by listening to the words now. That really helps me stay in the flow.
J: So even though your “challenge” is completed, I still see you at the studio all the time!
M: I used to practice at a gym, but I like the relaxed, soothing atmosphere at the studio. There are no mirrors to distract me.  And, I’ve taken class with most of the instructors, and I like them all!
Okay, yes I included that last quote as a shameless plug for Focus Yoga! But, creating new habits is easiest if they are pleasant and enjoyable, and finding recourses, such as a great teacher, environment or friends to support you can make the challenge of digging those new “grooves” easier.
Congrats to Mary and to everyone who has worked hard to develop new, healthy lifestyle habits!  I totally understand what a challenge it is. But, I know for certain: yoga is a powerful tool for transforming, for creating a vibrant, healthy life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment